The 2018 American Mead Makers Association Mead Conference (AMMAMC) will take place March 13-15, 2018, at the Omni Interlocken in Broomfield, CO.
The American Mead Makers Association is welcoming proposals for educational seminars at the conference. Seminars are expected to provide actionable take-aways for attendees to help improve their businesses or their mead making. The deadline to submit a proposal is November 30, 2017.
Please review the following guidelines before submitting a proposal:
- You may submit up to four seminar proposals
- Seminars are one hour long. It’s recommended that presentations be approximately 50-55 minutes long to allow for 5-10 minute of Q&A.
- Descriptions should accurately reflect the proposed seminar content. If selected, the text provided in the “brief description” field will be used as the seminar description in the conference program.
- Please provide a short bio and headshot when you submit your proposal.
- Changes (including speaker additions) after the seminar is selected will need to be approved by the AMMA Conference team.
- Titles and content of selected seminars are subject to change after team review.
Wondering what sort of topics we’re looking for at the 2018 AMMAMC? The seminar group has gathered a list of topics that the members of the mead community have indicated that they are interested in seeing seminar proposals for. You may also submit on a topic of your choosing.
- Running your Meadery
- Automation for meaderies
- Making the jump from small production area to to giant new production facilities and tasting rooms
- Lab and testing equipment best practices for small and larger meaderies
- Fermentation equipment – best setups for small vs. large, and creating a growth path
- Startup financing and funding your new meadery
- Creating TTB accepted recipes and labels
- TTB Regulations and best practices
- Packaging best practices/costs/efficiency
- Tasting Rooms – do or don’t, and affections on costs, sales and production
- Channel management – competing for shelf space
- Building in growth, and managing it
- Marketing your Mead
- Building your Brand
- Distribution out of state
- Creating a strong Online Presence
- National and International Distribution
- Meadery Start Ups
- Building a business plan that works and grows with you
- Determining your start up costs and needed equipment
- Partnering with a Distributor
- Top Unplanned Issues that happen in your Meadery
- Making Better Mead
- The chemistry of nutrients and sorbates/sulfites, and how to determine what to add and when to ensure a better mead
- Mead-friendly yeast strains, best practices and nutrient feeding recommendations, propagating and re-using yeast
- Mead problem-solving – stuck ferments, infections, rescuing recipes during fermentation
- Making melomels – fruit best practices
- Barrel aging and oak additions – oaking mead
- Session meads vs. standard strength
- Making better session meads
- Making smoked mead
- Bochets best practices
- Mead Tools and Techniques
- Barrels vs oak strips/chips/spirals
- Packaging best practices (home and/or pro) – bottles, corks vs. caps vs. cans, etc.
- Art and science of blending
- Finishing your Mead (so you don’t have Bottle Bombs)
- Increasing bee population and keeping bees in your home or at your meadery
- CO2 Management (for meaderies)
- Sustainability 101
- Mead in Society
- Mead and Food pairing
- Mead in Food recipes
- Mead tasting session
- Mead judging session
- Honey tasting session