2020 will be the third year of the AMMA National MeadMaker of the Year Award.
The participants in the running for NMMotY continue to grow, and we’re seeing expansion of existing, and the establishment of new mead competitions around the country. This is a wonderful thing!
Since things are growing so fast, the AMMA Home Governing Committee, which administers the NMMotY award has placed Carvin Wilson as administrator of the competition.
Carvin has established a set of parameters to ensure that the NMMotY continues to grow, and offers wide-ranging opportunities and judging pools to mead makers to participate in the year-long event.
Overview of New Changes
- Carvin Wilson will take over the circuit this year.
- AMMA representatives will be present at every competition.
- Home mead makers who serve meads at festivals, promote their meads in raffles, advertise and promote their meads like professionals will not be allowed to compete. You can of course serve your meads at your home brew club events.
- If the competition has no entry cap, only the top five entries will count. For example, if you enter ten meads, we will only consider the top five places.
- We will have a mead of the year event this year which consist of every first place on the circuit going into a BOS. This gives mead makers another way to win some swag and keeps folks interested if someone gets a big lead. You only will have to ship one bottle for this.
- Carvin will promote the AMMA at all competitions.
- The mead maker of the year and mead of the year will each receive a title belt. Yes, if you win both then you get two title belts. In my best Rick Flair voice, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- You will notice that there are new competitions this year, this will be a constant theme going forward. The qualifying competitions will start to change each year to give mead maker more exposure to judging across the country. We will not limit the criteria to mead only competitions, instead we are going for quality of judging.
HOW IS THE WINNER DETERMINED?
We will be keeping a “Current Leader Board” updated on the AMMA site. Points will be awarded as follows:
- Gold medals awarded 6 points
- Silver medals awarded 4 points
- Bronze medals awarded 2 points
- BOS awarded 4 points (only first place)
In the event of a tie, we will use the total amount of 1st place medals.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO PARTICIPATE?
Send in your entries as normal into any of the qualifying competitions listed below. The AMMA will be doing all the work of calculating points after the results from each competition are published. Entrants must be an active AMMA member at the time of each competition for those points to qualify.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
Prizes for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be determined over the next few months.
Here is the list in place for the race in 2020:
- Mazer Cup International
- Domras Cup
- Michigan Mead Cup
- Minnesota Mashout
If you have questions or problems, you can contact Carvin.