The AMMA is in year 4 of the National Mead Maker of the Year competition!
The purpose of this competition is not only to help spur even more participation in mead competitions, but to also motivate higher standards of mead making practices from amateur mead makers around the country.
In 2021, Carvin Wilson will once again be administrating the NMMY.
To ensure a quality race, the HGC will be setting some new guidelines:
- AMMA representatives will be present at every competition.
- Home mead makers who serve meads at festivals, promote their meads in raffles, advertise and promote their meads like professionals will not be allowed to compete. You can of course serve your meads at your home brew club events.
- If the competition has no entry cap, only the top five entries will count. For example, if you enter ten meads, we will only consider the top five places.
- The mead maker of the year and mead of the year will each receive a title belt!
- Since COVID 2020 really screwed up a lot of stuff, for the most part, we are keeping the competitions the same. To be honest we are just hoping organizers have competitions this year!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Only active Individual level members of the AMMA may qualify for the NMMY award. Entrants must be an active AMMA member at the time of each competition in order for those points to qualify towards the NMMY award. Commercial meadery owners, meaderies in planning and employees thereof are not eligible for this award.
WHEN DOES THE RACE BEGIN?
The competition circuit begins at the start of every calendar year with the winners announced at the following year’s annual AMMA Membership meeting in March.
HOW IS THE WINNER DETERMINED?
Throughout the year, we will be keeping a running tally of points from qualifying competitions that all count towards your chance of winning the race for the most prestigious amateur mead making award to date! Prizes will also be awarded to the 1st & 2nd runners up. We will be keeping a Current Leader Board updated on the AMMA site once the first competition results in the circuit are posted.
Points will be awarded as follows:
- Gold medals awarded 6 points
- Silver medals awarded 4 points
- Bronze medals awarded 2 points
- BOS awarded 4 points (only first place)
In the event of a tie, we will use the total amount of 1st place medals.
*Entrants must be an active AMMA member at the time of each competition in order for those points to qualify towards the NMMY award.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO PARTICIPATE?
Send in your entries as normal into any of the qualifying competitions listed below. The AMMA will be doing all the work of calculating points after the results from each competition are published. Entrants must be an active AMMA member at the time of each competition for those points to qualify.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
Besides ULTIMATE bragging rights for the year, the winner of the NMMY award wins a glorious trophy worthy of displaying and a FULL PASS ticket to the AMMA Conference where the trophy will be awarded. Prizes for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be determined over the next few months.
Qualifying competitions are rotated each year, to ensure a broad judging pool.
Here is the list in place for the race in 2021:
- Mazer Cup International
- Valkyrie Horn
- Michigan Mead Cup
- Minnesota Mashout
- National Homebrew Contest
*Any questions on the competitions chosen, please contact the NMMY administrator, Carvin Wilson.